Claim It. $ave It. Grow It.
VITA/EITC Initiative and MyFreeTaxes
Want to know how you can get your taxes done for free… with no hidden fees or strings attached? United Way of West Central Connecticut, in partnership with HRA of New Britain, will again be hosting a free tax preparation site for individuals residing in Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth and Terryville throughout the tax season. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides low-income workers and families with free tax preparation and filing. The goal is to bring unclaimed tax credits to these individuals, and thus to the community!
All volunteers at this VITA site are IRS-certified and ready to help you prepare your tax return and get you all the money due to you! If your household income is less than $56,000 then you are eligible to have your taxes done at this local VITA site for free. Appointments are required, so call the HRA appointment line at (860) 356-2000 and make sure to request the Bristol site! If you have questions on the program or want to learn more, please call Nancy Micloskey, United Way Community Impact Coordinator, at (860) 582-9559 x 402.
What to bring for your VITA appointment?
- Your spouse, if married filing jointly
- Picture ID for you and your spouse
- Social Security cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and any dependents you are claiming
- W-2 forms for all jobs held in 2019
- 1099 forms, such as 1099G, 1099Misc, 1099Int
- Any letter or notice you received from the IRS
- Copy of your 2018 Federal and State returns
- A blank, voided check or bank routing and account numbers (if you want your refund directly deposited)
- If you paid for child care - documentation listing provider name, address, tax ID#, and amount paid
- If you, your spouse, or a child attended college - tuition expense statement (1098T) and/or student loan interest statement (1098E)
- Home mortgage interest and prperty taxes paid
- Documentation of alimony
- Social Secuirty benefits statement
- Unemployment benefits verification
- If you are itemizing, bring documetnation of out-of-pocket medical expenses and charitable contributions
- Prizes, awards, lottery/gambling winnings
Last year, 20 well-trained volunteers filed 492 tax returns and brought back $676,991 in Federal and State refunds into the community.
Another goal of this program is to promote the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is one of the largest antipoverty programs. EITC is a financial boost for working people in a recovering economy.
Federal & State Earned Income Tax Credits
By coming to our VITA site, we will ensure that you receive every tax refund that you are eligible for!
To qualify for the federal and state EITC, earned income and adjusted gross income must each be less than:
- $47,955 ($53,505 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children;
- $44,648 ($50,198 married filing jointly) with two or more qualifying children;
- $39,296 ($44,846 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child;
- $14,880 ($20,430 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children.
You could qualify for a larger tax refund this year! Working families may be eligible for the Connecticut Earned Income Tax Credit (CT-EITC), which is worth up to $1,724 in additional refunds.
Individuals and families earning $66,000 or less in 2019 are eligible to use MyFreeTaxes. MyFreeTaxes (https://www.myfreetaxes.com/) is an easy, secure, and free way to file state and federal taxes online. In support of United Way’s work to help everyone in West Central Connecticut achieve financial stability, United Way has partnered with H&R Block to bring MyFreeTaxes to individuals and households earning under $66,000.